2017 Annual Meeting
May 4-9, 2017
Diplomat Beach Resort
Hollywood, FL USA
The 828 attendees to APSA 2017 represented the spectrum of pediatric surgery career levels and practice environments. The overall theme of global pediatric surgery received unique interpretations from the keynote presenters. Hands-on simulation courses were back this year, along with the new walk-up Simulation Learning Center featuring the da Vinci® Robot. The meeting ended with the third annual Town Hall and discussion of the current distribution of pediatric surgeons; options for redistribution of pediatric surgeons; implications of ACS Children’s Surgery Verification Program; and the ABS/ACGME/program perspective.
Ninety percent of the meeting survey respondents rated the meeting as good or excellent. Education Day, which focused on surgeons as leaders, educators and communicators, was well regarded, as were the scientific sessions. "Some of the data reassured me in my clinical decision making or gave me new ideas for changing my practice," noted one respondent.
David M. Powell, MD, became the ninth recipient of the Distinguished Service Award, APSA's highest honor. It was presented in gratitude for his Herculean efforts as acting editor for the Journal of Pediatric Surgery after the loss of Dr. Jay Grosfeld. View the 2017 winners of APSA various awards for excellence here.
- Journal of Pediatric Surgery Lecture/Presidential Address: Diana L. Farmer, MD, Professor and Chair, Department of Surgery, Surgeon-in-Chief, UC Davis Children's Hospital, UC Davis Health, Sacramento, CA
- Robert E. Gross Lecture: Stephen W. Bickler, MD, DTM&H, Professor of Surgery and Pediatrics, Rady Children's Hospital - University of California, San Diego, CA
- Jay & Margie Grosfeld Lecture: James A. O'Neill, Jr., MD, JC Foshee Distinguished Professor and Chairman Emeritus, Section of Surgical Sciences, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine and Medical Center, Nashville, TN
Annual meeting attendees have access to the meeting presentations. Most sessions provide the presentation slides. The keynote presentations include audio synced with the slides, and you can view the full videos from the Video Session.
- Log on to the APSA website, then go to the Membership navigation tab, then the Membership link in the dropdown.
- Choose My Communities from the right navigation pane
- Then scroll down the page and you'll see a list of communities to which you have access. Click "APSA 2017 Annual Meeting"
- Click on Media in the right navigation pane, and click on a link to view the presentation.
Claiming CME and MOC CME Credits for APSA 2017
Claim your CME attendance credits.
Claim your MOC credits
- Log onto ExPERT using your regular APSA login
- Select "Pre-Created Courses"
- From the dropdown select "Annual Meeting"