APSA Committees carry out a number of different critical functions for the association. To learn more about a specific committee, click on the name below. APSA members who are logged onto the site will also see committee chair contact information.
The APSA Practice Committee exists to monitor the practice of pediatric surgery in North America, report trends in practice patterns, and offer guidance to APSA members for improvements and optimization of care delivery. This committee will analyze various trends in the organization and delivery of pediatric surgical care, as well as changes in private/government reimbursement methodologies and other financial factors which influence the viability of pediatric surgical practices, in order to ensure the successful long-term delivery of high quality surgical care to our patients.
In order to accomplish this, the APSA Practice Committee will:
- Work to assure adequate representation and participation of APSA on national committees regarding reimbursement issues, including the RUC (Resource Based-Relative Value Scale Update Committee) and the CPT Advisory Committee.
- Offer education and assistance to the membership about issues involving billing, coding, office/practice management, and hospital contracting.
- Encourage integration of varied pediatric surgery practice models into APSA, including academic, traditional "private practice," hospital-employed, multispecialty group practice, armed forces, locum tenens, and others.
- Work with the APSA Workforce Committee to analyze the supply and demand of Pediatric Surgeons and the impact they may have on care.
- Develop practice documents, including management guidelines, which may enable members to interact more successfully with patients, families, colleagues, and payers, through the use of standardized preoperative workups and indications for surgery.
to view email addresses for all committee members.
Jessica J. Kandel - Liaison
University of Chicago
Barry M. Newman - Chair
Providence St. Vincent Hospital
John C. Bleacher - Vice Chair
Children's Healthcare of Atlanta
Tamer A. Ahmed - Member
Upstate Golisano Children's Hospital
Stephanie D. Chao - Member
Stanford University School of Medicine
Mauricio A. Escobar - Member
Mary Bridge Children's Hospital/Ped Surg
James W. Eubanks - Member
Le Bonheur Children's Hospital/University of Tennessee Health Science Center
Nicholas F. Fiore - Member
Pediatric Surgery Assoc
Stephen S. Kim - Member
Pediatric Surgical Group
Evan R. Kokoska - Member
Peyton Manning Children's Hospital
Thomas K. Lee - Member
Univ of Chicago, Section of Ped Surg
Sang Lee - Member
California Pediatric Surgical Group
Clifford C. Marr - Member
Marcene R. McVay Gillam - Member
Arkansas Children's Northwest
Kevin P. Moriarty - Member
Baystate Children's Hospital
David M. Notrica - Member
Phoenix Children's Hospital
J. Duncan Phillips - Member
WakeMed Children's Hospital
Ellen M. Reynolds - Member
David J. Schmeling - Member
Pediatric Surgical Associates
Ami N. Shah - Member
Rush University Medical Center
Ala Stanford - Member
Stanford Pediatric Surgery, LLC
Mark C. Stovroff - Member
Childrens Surgical Associates
Erin A. Teeple - Member
Al Dupont Hospital for Children
John K. Uffman - Member
Cook Children's Hospital
Ravindra K. Vegunta - Member
Cardon Children's Medical Center
Jill S. Whitehouse - Member
Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital
David C. Yu - Member
Children's Hospital New Orleans
James C. Gilbert - Ex Officio
TN Valley Ped Surg
Richard G. Weiss - Ex Officio
CT Children's Med Ctr